Wednesday, March 8, 2017

The Importance of Work Ethic

Over the past ten years I have been teaching large groups of junior tennis players how to play and compete in our great sport! My students have taught me so much including how the times have changed from when I was a competitive player. Nowadays, it appears much harder for kids to focus because of social media and technology distractions.

What I remember clearly is how hard I worked to obtain an ATP World Ranking in singles/doubles, NCAA II #1 national ranking in singles, All-Time National Collegiate Champion in singles and doubles NAIA 1989 and All-American status. It's nice to be in the record books but without a strong work ethic it never would have happened.

I now believe that work ethic has to be taught. It is so easy for coaches to see young players that are spoiled and don't know how to work hard and give up on them (including myself). What I have learned over the years is kids will surprise you! They can learn if you give them a chance. But kids need explanations, the how and why's are important for them to connect the dots in their own lives.

If you are a coach, or good tennis player, I am here to tell you greatness is only within reach when work ethic matches your desired goals. Good technique, experience, match play, perseverance and patience are all keys to success in tennis but without a strong work ethic you are destined for mediocrity. What is your destiny?


1 comment:

  1. "The Absolute ignores the almost, just as the sun ignores the candle," is something I learned from Victor Hugo. It feels related to your last paragraph. You'll never become a top-tier player with an 'almost' work ethic.

    ReplyDelete